When originally released, Phenom had a nick name of the black death. The TLB bug with the L3 cache caused serious stability and reliability problems and the only work around was to disable the L3 cache in the BIOS, removing any performance benefits the Phenom processor had over the Athlon X2 line. This, however, has thankfully now changed. BE stepping Phenoms removed this problem and since then a second generation Phenom II has emerged, which is one of the most impressive processors we have seen.
While the fact that the on die memory is nothing new with AMD having done this since the introduction of K8, it's how AMD has gone about this with Phenom II socket AM3 processors; more specifically, its upgrade path. If you are a AM2+ motherboard owner you can run an AM3 based CPU. This is because AMD has managed to integrate a dual channel DDR2 and dual channel DDR3 memory controller onto a single package. Not only this, but it also stays pin compatible with AM2+ boards; a fantastic effort. However, its performance is not quite up to par with Intel's Core i7 processors; AMD is lacking a third memory channel and a few other features, but Phenom II is the perfect upgrade processor for AMD AM2+ users and new users wanting to go AM3.
Today we have on display the Black Edition 955 clocked at 3.2GHz, AMD's fastest processor to date. Let's see just how well this baby performs compared to its 810 counterpart as well as Intel's Core i7.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Test Oct
- Microsoft sees up tick in Surface sales, iPad sales plummet
- Test on new server
- Test 3rd month
- Nish Nov Test
- AMD Ryzen 9 3950X (Zen 2) Processor Review
- CalDigit Tuff nano Portable SSD Review
- Lian Li Lancool II Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Seagate FireCuda 520 1TB NVMe PCIe Gen4 M.2 SSD Review
- Improve your PC performance with ASUS RAMCache III and DDR4 RAM
- BIOSTAR showcases Gaming Z170X Intel Skylake Motherboard at Computex - Available this August
- ECS Racing Track Booth Takes Computex 2015 by Storm!
- PLANTRONICS' NEW MODULAR RIG 500 SERIES GAMING HEADSETS
- Update: MSI Shows Off Its Eye-catching Gaming Hardware
- TomTom announces publicly available test map data for Highly Automated Driving in Metro Detroit